23 September 2009

I Conquered the Seat

My first week in Europe (yes, I'm posting late again) was spent in Edinburgh, Scotland -- the most fairytale-like city I've ever encountered. One end of the city actually rests in the shadow of a castle. And the other end? Oh, it borders the sea.. no big deal or anything. Named ever-so-suitably for King Arthur, "Arthur's Seat" lies somewhere in the middle of magical Edinburgh. A wild highland area, the seat rises 823.5 feet and has gorgeous views of both the city and the sea.

The pictures below are from my adventure to the seat with my friend Annette.

Oh yeah, she and I also CLIMBED to the VERY TOP of the seat (that's right.. all 823.5 feet of it). Not bad for a couple of sorority girls, huh?

P.S. I was wearing a skirt and flats. Ridiculous, but true. (We didn't wake up that morning with the urge to conquer the seat.. it just happened!) Chapter 856 of the bizarre existence I live and love.

Baby's first hike

View of the seat

View of Edinburgh from half-way up

We ran across a lake of swans while we were climbing... what??



Another view from half-way

The remains of a 12th century monastery in the highlands

Resting.. (oh, give us a break)

We conquered the seat!!! (photo courtesy of a really chic Scottish teen)

View from the top

The long return (we still felt invincible)


My feet were sore for days, but the view - and the adventure - were so worth it.

1 comment:

taylortrauger said...

wow your photos amaze me. What kind of camera do you have?

I'm glad you're having an incredible time :)